Friday, 25 November 2016

Seeing Red On Black Friday

If I needed to go shopping today I would do without...

This Black Friday thing is getting ridiculous...

I have had countless emails over the past couple of weeks...

It's like the January sales starting on Boxing Day...

No no no...

January sales should start in January...

Black Friday does not appear to bring out the best in people...

So why oh why have we imported it...

I'm utterly sick of the adverts trying to get us to spend spend spend...

The tv advert gets right into our homes in a way no pedlar selling his wares ever could...

Progress?

Do we really need all this stuff...

Are we being brainwashed into buying things we don't need, and can't afford just because of the power of advertising...

I could quite happily live without the tv...

Give me music, and my knitting, or a pack of cards...

Oh, and a glass of baileys...

Blessings J. x

6 comments:

  1. Keep Calm and Carry On!
    Take a deep breath
    Better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's any consolation, Black Friday seems to be losing favor in the U.S. where the whole blasted thing got started. Many of my friends and family members who once believed it an unavoidable tradition have now discovered the "bargains" just aren't worth the mayhem. In fact, it's no longer Black FriDAY, but "Black Friday Month" here for retail stores, online outlets... even car dealerships! Cyber Monday sales start before Halloween and last right up until Christmas. Most Americans have discovered that better "bargains" can be found throughout the year, and everyone I know has seriously whittled gift lists; many have opted towards homemade gifts for those remaining on their lists. As an example, I used to have 30+ names to buy for at Christmas, not including teachers, delivery workers, co-workers, etc. and am now down to the four of us, my mother and sister. All others get a greeting card. My husband's co-workers get a nominal gift card for a local bread or coffee shop. Delivery workers get home baked treats. So take heart! Perhaps America's new, more frugal traditions will also spill across the pond. Wishing you a quiet, peaceful holiday season filled with all the things that really matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What cheering words...there is hope after all! It's so nice to have confirmed the wonderful truth instead of what is portrayed in the media. x

      Delete
  3. I was in town today but it didn't seem that much busier than normal. Had to pick up a couple of things from Argos and expected huge queues but no....I got straight to the till. Any savings I made were only to things already on my list. I don't buy into the con that is Black Friday-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good good! Can't have a Sheila going off the rails on Black Friday...x

      Delete

I read all comments before publishing. If I think a comment would offend anyone I will not publish it.