Monday, 7 November 2016

A Day Of Rest?

Sunday...a traditional day of rest...

But for who?

My father worked on a farm...

He generally had to milk the cows every other weekend...

And during harvest even weekends off were worked...

Even when home he would be hard at it in our large vegetable garden.

Mum would cook a roast dinner, and many fine homemade dishes for tea such a potato pasty, cakes and other sweet treats...

Not too much of a rest.

I married a farmer...

He worked every day of the year on the family farm until the year after foot and mouth when he finally realised we could not manage on the income his father was allowing him. Sadly the income had to pay all our living expenses plus rent to a private landlord...but the amount of income was at such a rate that you would have expected a home to be included. Anyway I digress...and really want to keep my train of thought away from wandering down a path that upsets me greatly...

So back to Sunday's...

And today in particular...

Hubby cleared out the greenhouse in order to store some tools and bits in there that were in the lean to log store here...

He then fetched some logs...

He and caveman 2 unloaded the logs and stacked them into the lean to...

Youngest brought some in to store in the space we have indoors...

I made a boiled fruit cake...roasted lunch...made pastry for a potato pasty and an apple pie. A loaf of bread came out of the bread maker resembling a large brick...I'm blaming the yeast! However upon sampling we discovered it's entirely edible, though not up to delicate sandwich standards! I also cooked part of an onion and a very small amount of bacon...rolled out some leftover puff pastry from the fridge into squares, spread a tsp of my homemade tomato pizza sauce onto centre of said squares, topped with bacon and onion and a pinch of grated cheddar, then folded corners of pastry over and baked...our family call them bacon specials...and my goodness they are special when consumed warm from the oven...

So not much rest...but we are well fed this evening...

There is plenty of potato pasty left for packed lunches tomorrow, and some delicious if I do say so myself apple pie which will be enjoyed tomorrow evening.

There is one bacon special left as I made four forgetting that youngest would be at work from this afternoon until tomorrow afternoon...I am secretly hoping it will be left out of the lunch boxes but don't really think I'll be that lucky!

Heidi and I enjoyed rather a chilly romp this afternoon...I left hubby at home with the fire blazing and himself clutching the remote control...

Men!!

Now this evening I have begun another shawl in a pattern I have already knitted but in a different colour way...

A dreadful photo, but the best the iPad could do in the limited light...

My phone has been sent to insurance heaven after suffering an unfortunate mishap...I use the phones camera usually and am pleased with the results I get...not so much pleased with the iPad ones...

Hopefully tomorrow I will receive a new phone with a lovely little camera I can use once more...this has been promised anyway...I asked to downgrade from a 6 plus to a 6 as it's the second unfortunate accident I've had with a large phone...originally chosen so I could read texts without my glasses!!

 

These were actually photos of making last Sunday's two potato pasties...eldest and her hubby came to tea!

My favourite dish for making pasties in is one I bought from M and S before I was married, harvest pattern I believe. I love it and would really be lost without it.

Anyway...from a chilly hamlet in Devon...blessings

J. x

 

3 comments:

  1. Now that is a proper kitchen....full of love, warmth and good things to eat-x-

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Sheila put it perfectly. Nice woolly tights too!! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those goodies look seriously yummy. x

    ReplyDelete

I read all comments before publishing. If I think a comment would offend anyone I will not publish it.