Sunday, 8 May 2016

Sometimes

Just sometimes I do wish myself to be living in a less complicated era...and am at present enjoying getting absorbed in the book The Cottage Garden Diaries, by Fiona J. Houston. Having a dog who this afternoon has refused to go for a walk, preferring to lie comatose upon the kitchen tiles, and guarding her dish just in case any tasty tidbits should fall into it...(rather unlikely)... I find myself reading and blogging without guilt.

Roast lunch was prepared in the small oven...turning it off occasionally to use the hob...only one or the other at a time I'm afraid...still it saved me from sweating over the woodburner. And after the glorious few days we have been enjoying I am very grateful for it. Anyway rationing suits the small oven cooking method...it was more like a sparrow than a chicken which we enjoyed today...and I can't quite believe that there is leftover meat!

Meat has been hard to eek out, though not as bad as the milk ration..I feel sure that I may have been keeping a house cow...I suppose I do have access to farm milk if I get desperate...we always used to drink it, but lately with youngsters no longer getting their BCG's (though ours did as babies), we do buy in milk. I could be adding water on the quiet to the last dribble later!

Youngest has gone off to work...I'll see her in there tomorrow...hope it's a good day! Hubby and youngest's partner are at the top of the garden taking down some large trees. They are on next doors hedge, but he wants them down so we're doing the job for him! There will be light on the tops of our gardens. They were beautiful though and the birds perched and sang their hearts out from their branches so it will be sad for them to go...however having some more useable veg growing area will be good.

The bird life here is fantastic...we are bordered by hedge on three sides of the garden...all slightly different species. Many fledglings have been begging for food in the garden this week.

I need to do a spot of menu planning in a while, and the main shopping will be done on Tuesday. Eek and stretch are two situations I think I will have to become more familiar with. I need to also be writing down what we did eat because now I'm trying to remember the weeks meals my mind has gone blank. I think a diary may be in order to keep order! The £30 for 'everything else' has been fairly easy this week...in fact £22.90, though admittedly I do have a very well stocked pantry.

So what is Heidi missing this afternoon...

Well this actually...

 

 

Though the wind is really picking up a pace now and she doesn't have her buddy Beatrice to go with today...so perhaps that's why she didn't want to go.

Much more fun with company!

J. X

 

10 comments:

  1. Love, Love that book, one of the few books I've read 3 times

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finished reading...and can be sure I'll read again before too long! x

      Delete
  2. Let sleeping dogs lie. :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did...there's no budging the mighty when they don't want to be disturbed! x

      Delete
  3. Sol likes his walk as he has a chance to lie in the stream you are doing well with your rationing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi would have been able to lie in a stream also...she's just stubborn! x

      Delete
  4. We've had our first proper nice day today and went a ride into the Peak District for lunch. It was so hot that I could've done a Heidi and laid down on the pubs quarry tiles....lol.
    Why don't you keep a diary on here about your rations. I would be really interested to read it-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oohs bet people would have pad good money to see you spread eagled on the pub floor! Considering keeping a diary on here, maybe in a few weeks when we've eaten down supplies a bit. x

      Delete
  5. I know I have said this before but I do love your dogs! When the time is right for us to get a dog we are all agreed on a newfoundland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only Heidi is mine...Bea is daughters...they are lovely and don't have run off tendencies which I really like. Lots of wet cuddles too! x

      Delete

I read all comments before publishing. If I think a comment would offend anyone I will not publish it.