Tuesday, 3 May 2016

Sitting Here

In the greenhouse typing this just after lunch...the sun is pale in the sky and a keen breeze blows through the many broken panes of glass...but it is a greenhouse...ours remains for its fifth year resolutely in storage!

No plants in here yet, but our old kitchen table has found a new home and there is a little mobile coverage up here which is more than in the actual cottage...so maybe this will become my office of choice...today I have hauled in an old folding chair, some paperwork and lunch.



As you can see I am not alone...

I have been budgeting for our food, and not just in monetary terms...keen to try and live off wartime rations at least for a while I've been working on the average amounts allowed of various foods rather than keep upping and downing amounts which previously I found impossible to find out about. Points are another sticky issue which I need to address. I'm leaning towards set amounts for all basic rationed foods then a monetary amount for whatever else we need. Different products are available now and I'm not sure I want to give them up, but just limit what we scoff and use of everything!

Who I and youngest daughter work for have come up trumps by lending us a compact cooker that they used at the home a few years ago while the kitchen was being re-done. Our cooker isn't now arriving until the beginning of June, and much as the food cooked on top the woodburner has tasted delicious, we were very restricted as to what we (well I) could prepare. Sunday roast was started at ten in the morning and served at six thirty in the evening! Best brisket I've ever done though!!

So for any of you that may be interested here are the amounts averaged out over the duration of WW2 of what weekly rations our family of four adults would have been allowed and what we're hoping to adhere to...

Meat...including sausages and poultry...4lb

Bacon or ham...1 1/2lb

Cheese...1lb 2oz

Butter...1lb 4oz

Marg...2lb

Lard...10oz

Eggs fresh...12

Milk...12 pints fresh

Milk...1 pint dried

Jam or syrup...12oz

Sugar...3lb

Tea...12oz

Sweets...12oz

Now I know that meat was by monetary value and poultry and sausages weren't included, but very rarely available...so just for simplicity the above is the amount we're allowing ourselves.

At the moment we do not have chickens, though maybe that will change, however I'm not about to buy powdered eggs...one dozen it is!

The main problem I can foresee is milk...we use a lot of it, both I and hubby came from dairy farming families...youngest's partner is the biggest milk guzzler though!

Having no wish to whiff worse than stirred silage effluent, soap rations could be fun...these were coupon based...at the moment we're using packet laundry powder, but will have to see about whether to continue this or make our own again...I do make soap and have plenty of making supplies already. Think we'll worry about the food items first...but what monetary value should the rest of our shopping be at? Four hungry adults, two taking packed lunches, one taking breakfast as well...and let's not forget the meat eating dog...who would really rather not be on rations of any kind! I'm not going to impose anything on her...she does eat a raw food diet rather than commercial pet food, so things like offal, bone, skin and meat, plus fish and scraps get scaffled up by her...eve carrot peelings!

So excluding Heidi grub, and the rationed items, at a guess things such as fruit, veg, tinned goods, flour, yeast, dried fruits, nuts, and cereals could realistically add £30 to the bill weekly? This I will monitor and obviously get as low as possible without wanting to kill someone!

One thing that strikes me at first glance is the amount of sugar and fat allowed even on rations, but wait...just about everything was cooked from scratch...no added sugar drinks or sauces or anything really. So we'll see how we go! And with the help of albeit a little cooker I'm quite sure we shan't starve...for a while anyway.

J. x

 

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness......you are clever working all that out. I shall watch your progress with a very interested eye.
    Glad to hear you have a cooker even if it is a small one-x-

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a couple of books that are re-prints of the wartime ration leaflets its great to see what was available and the amounts and how to use them, foraging is good for stretching those rations :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't do things by halves, Jackie. I look forward to reading your progress. You are far more disciplined than I. What a fabulous place for your office. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to be interesting to follow, to see how you eke it out, they do say that the war time menu was a lot healthier than the modern one, well done, I use our greenhouse for more than just plants, it certainly extends our outside life if the weather is grotty x

    ReplyDelete

I read all comments before publishing. If I think a comment would offend anyone I will not publish it.