Saturday, 14 May 2016

Reading

Whilst reading The Cottage Garden Diaries by Fiona Houston, it became apparent how much I have adapted totally to reading on the iPad...

I couldn't see a photograph as clearly as I would have liked so automatically put my fingers on the page in an attempt to enlarge the picture...

Of course this didn't happen...and I felt very silly...and also a little bit sad that my reading habits had become so divorced from what used to be...

Partly I have favoured the iPad for reading because I have reached the age of failing eyesight...and the lure of larger text at the press of, well not even a button has been too great a temptation...

But...

Some books become old friends...

Well worn, with bent and or torn pages...

They exude a sense of comfort and wellbeing that much as I love the iPad sadly it will never give me those feelings...It's more of an instant gratification tool...

And that made me feel quite bereft at what we could so easily lose...

Call it nostalgia...or silliness...or whatever...

The iPad and kindle have their place...

But if you're after a faithful old friend to comfort you on a dull afternoon, or the smell of old paper, or the recipe that's so well used and grubby everybody would know it's a favourite...it has to be a good old book...

So maybe...just maybe...in this little old cottage that seems to hug it's dust as though it's growing in value I will never...ever...moan about dusting off the bookshelf.

No I don't have a photo of our bookshelf...actually it isn't even made yet...roll eyes in exasperation!

But I do have this...

To soothe the soul...

It does mine anyway. J. x

 

4 comments:

  1. Yup... know exactly what you mean about reading online vs reading books😀and as I sit here reading online, my soul like yours can be soothed by such like things x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wind through trees and dappled sunshine or the sound of waves on a beach - a hard choice for which is most therapeutic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried a Kindle once......and went straight back to my paper books. It just didn't feel right to me.
    Beautiful photos-x-

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a kindle and recently got a kindle fire, I love being able to enlarge the photos, I do still love my paper and pages books, there is a place for them all :-)

    ReplyDelete

I read all comments before publishing. If I think a comment would offend anyone I will not publish it.