Tuesday, 26 January 2016

Slowly

Thank you Sheila and Sue...I am beginning to feel a little better...

But it has been a real stinker...read snotty!!

The sneezing appears to have stopped...

But I've moved onto coughing...

A silly tickly cough...

One that wakes you from slumber...

And leaves you spluttering and gasping in equal measures...

FAN-TAS-TIC.

Today I dragged my sorry ass derrière to a wholesale store...

It was the first time this side of Yule that I'd shopped anywhere but Lidl...

But it had to happen...

The time had come when we required a little more than bread and milk...

So to Booker it was...

They have good offers on washing powder...

And I'm trying some Pro dishwasher tablets...

Cut in half cos I'm mean!

My wish to live on WW2 rationing has fallen to the wayside...

Not through not wanting to...

But the total frustration trying to find out what exactly was on ration...

And how the amounts changed throughout the war...

I contacted the Imperial War Museum...

They sent a generic email stating I would get a reply within 8 weeks...

Nothing...

Yep nothing!

Frustrating...

Does anyone know...was flour rationed?..if so to what degree?..

I know bread wasn't till after the war and all about the national loaf...

Then there's soaps and soap powders...

Different beasts to our modern day products...

And as I make my own soap...would I have been able to purchase the ingredients...

Could I have reared my own poultry for meat?..

Maybe when we're settled at Little Winter I can find out more detailed information...

Maybe I should be better just buying only seasonally available produce...

Whatever...It will be on a sensible budget...

I'm making a concerted effort to finish my diploma...

This week hopefully...

Can't wait...

Seriously...

Can't!

J. x


2 comments:

  1. Glad to know that you are getting there but they do take some shifting don't they?

    Did you ever watch the programme Wartime Farm? There was some very good information about rationing on that. They also produced a book to go with the series that had recipes and other information in it.
    Keep on getting better-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila...Yes I watched Wartime Farm when it was on TV originally...and still do on YouTube now...also have the book...but darn me some information is mighty elusive! I also watched and still watch the wartime kitchen and garden...why oh why did I not ask my parents more when I could have. Jackie x

      Delete

I read all comments before publishing. If I think a comment would offend anyone I will not publish it.