Saturday, 28 November 2015

Rotten Weather But...

Today has been a day to stay indoors...light the fire and snuggle...well actually I have spent it mainly in the kitchen baking our festive celebration cake...

A double lining just like Mum used to do...

And I discovered...

That it's almost impossible to secure the string round the brown paper outside of a square cake tin with only one pair of hands! A round tin I can do without too much of a fuss but oh the woes the square shape caused me this morning...

But finally...


It was ready to go in the oven...I burnt myself sticking my hand in to check for a suitable temperature...the temperature gauge on our Esse is not known for being accurate! Yes the brown paper has been very well used for this purpose before!

Next it was a cup of coffee time and an illicit scraping of the bowl...

Yum.....and I'm pleased to say the cake is looking rather splendid if I do say so myself...

Next it was a task of curried parsnip soup that found me enthusiastically chopping up onions and some rather past their best parsnips...but I've tasted the finished soup and I'm sure it would be fit for a king! If I were to know one...it will also do very well for mine and hubby's dinner this evening...

After being blitzed...another yum!

And that is about as exciting as I need my Saturday to be, with a priority of keeping warm and well, though most of the heat is being sucked up the chimneys I'm doing my best to keep the home fires burning and give hubby a warm welcome and meal after his day out in the cold and wet.

Until next time keep safe, J. x

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Your cake does indeed look a triumph. I used to make one but gave up bothering as nobody here really likes it. I must think of an alternative. Curried parsnip soup is just the thing in this weather. It's awful again and looks like we will be stuck inside again today. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it the cake or the marzipan and icing that people don't appreciate? I know one of my sisters covers hers with chocolate! Luckily I married the equivalent of a human dustbin...though apparently the curried parsnip soup wasn't his favourite...to be fair he's not even that keen on parsnips!! Batten down those hatches an hold on to your children...x

      Delete
  2. Hello. I just discovered your wonderful blog. I'm so intrigued by the baking of Christmas cakes. Your cake looks amazing and I'm sure it will taste that way,too. I made one for the first time this year. The curry parsnip soup sounds yummy, too. We just finished our turkey soup made from our Thanksgiving turkey. Have a wonderful day. Sending you my best from southern California, Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome...I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday. The curried parsnip soup was indeed yummy. I have made Christmas cakes each year since we were married and have settled on a Delia Smith recipe after years of chopping and changing. I've had mixed luck making turkey soup...some times it has been lovely, but on one occasion I think I'd given the dogs all the skin which I imagine carries some of the sweetness...anyway it was shockingly awful. Of course my family years on remember this one culinary disaster! I'm sure yours was delicious though. Jackie.X

    ReplyDelete

I read all comments before publishing. If I think a comment would offend anyone I will not publish it.