Wednesday, 25 November 2015

And Breathe

With shoulders practically attached to my earlobes I answered my mobile whilst at work on Monday...and after weeks of hold ups and queries coming my way via the estate agent and financial adviser it was good news...the mortgage has been approved. Phew! Now let's see how long the searches take...(big sigh), and see how big the bills are...(aagh)! Then get in and start knocking the place into shape...quite literally.

So now I should be floating in the air somewhere...blissfully happy...only the knots in my shoulders are keeping my feet firmly on the ground. There's still a way to go before I'm toasting my toes in front of the wood burner at the cottage...which from herein I shall refer to as Little Winter. Just so I feel a little closer to our elusive Winters End...

The weather daemons of November are really throwing some miserable mixes at us. Rain=OK...Sideways rain=Not OK in my way of thinking anyway! Then there's the grey of November that led me to hang fairy lights and candles in the living room aplenty. You can quite easily see how afraid people would have been hundreds of years ago with all the shadows and mists. I think I would have thought it was some other world descending upon us and tried all manner of things to keep me and my family safe.

So I found myself in need of comfort yesterday...it had been bitterly cold with a North wind that seemed to find its way through our front door and beyond despite a thick curtain hanging there. My hips won't thank me but this is how I spent most of the day...baking...

Firstly cakes with dried cranberries in...

Above they're cooling...next they were topped with a mix of...

Melted white chocolate...

And Philadelphia cheese...

Next came a good old faithful boiled fruit cake...

And finally the first of these this season...

 

Since I inherited my Mothers old cutter I find I have to use that to cut the circles with for mince pies...It brings back so many happy memories of what sadly is so long ago...Normally I top them with a star, but yesterday a little holly cutter 'spoke' to me from the drawer and my idea was...don't laugh...slightly less pastry might mean I could sneak an extra one without my hips even noticing!!

And I'm probably a very bad person for doing it, but while all the baking was going on I listened to a festive playlist of mine..I say festive rather than Christmas...there were a few carols, but what I'd term Winter ones...and Sarah McLachlan has some lovely Wintery music...and along with some classical Winter tunes I had a hum and a jig round the kitchen whilst being productive.

Take care and keep snuggily...J. x

 

1 comment:

  1. How did I miss this post?! I can almost smell the baking from looking at the photographs. I love the holly cutter mince pies. I have to admit to gearing up for the festivities myself at long last. I have christmas songs in my head (damn you Mariah) and, being super organised, have got all my presents! I'm not sure how that happened. So happy you have had your mortgage application approved. Fingers crossed for the rest of it. Much love. X

    ReplyDelete

I read all comments before publishing. If I think a comment would offend anyone I will not publish it.