Friday, 26 September 2014

Goodbye Summer

The first nips of autumn have been felt around here. Summer has said farewell for this year.

The leaves are falling.

The nights are cold and we awake to misty mornings.

Cobwebs glisten in the sun as she breaks through the chill morning air.

This time is special...the forerunner to winter, a time to gather in the last of the harvests.

Be not idle in the autumn, for winter will follow and with an empty larder you will pay dear during the harsh months to come.


Nature has provided us with her bounties, it is up to us to make the most of these gifts.


These lovelies are sitting in the window by my sink. The colours of autumn are beautiful.

In preparation for winter I have potted up bulbs, tulips, daffs and iris, topped with violas and cyclamen. They are creating a nice splash of colour by the house walls and hopefully will continue to do so for quite some time.

I fear we are getting to the end of the bean harvest...today the wind has picked up, something I'm sure the beans will not appreciate at all.

Yesterday I picked a load of blackberries to make blackberry gin...

This morning I collected these...sloes for sloe gin...We're obviously planning a boozy winter!

I also rescued these from a bonfire pile and hope to get creative soon...just not today as I soon need to get off to work...big sigh!

Get harvesting,

J. x

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read all comments before publishing. If I think a comment would offend anyone I will not publish it.