Monday, 3 February 2014

Candlemas/imbolc

Yesterday saw me preparing our family meal to celebrate the festival of Imbolc. The first time I have done anything to formally recognise this time of year, although I have always felt very strong seasonal connections and wanting to display various things for the changing year, before I never worked to a date.

We ate a meal of roast lamb followed by a Christmas pudding. Yum! On Saturday we took down the Yuletide decorations and put up more Spring like goodies. I purchased a couple of artificial boxwood garlands. Yes fresh is lovely, but on a mantle that gets warm just not practical at all.


I shall have to take more photos when the fire is lit . Not too long to wait...outside the winds are strong but thankfully drying...for now any way. Today is my last day home from work...tomorrow I do a ten hour shift, and feeling like it's round two of the cold virus coming, it could seem like a long old day!

After our meal last evening the family did the quiz I had prepared, no they did not know many of the correct answers, but with questions mainly about local knowledge....the hairy hands of dartmoor, the so called devils footprints in the snow in 1855, and the Americans offering to build Barnstaple a downstream bridge in the second world war, I hope they learned some very interesting facts.

We then opened our small gifts...these represent the excess of a Christmas stocking, but now divided up throughout the year between all the celebrations of old, I do hope this will become a treasured family tradition. Each season deserves to be honoured and celebrated fully.

Now I must make the most of this day...no matter how cold and windy...

J. x

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read all comments before publishing. If I think a comment would offend anyone I will not publish it.